Malai lassi is a traditional Indian beverage known for its rich and creamy texture and refreshing taste. This chilled yoghurt-based drink is a popular choice during the scorching summer months, offering a delightful respite from the heat. In this blog post, we will guide you through a simple and mouthwatering recipe to make malai lassi at home. Get ready to indulge in a cool and creamy treat that will transport you to the streets of India.
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons malai (clotted cream)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup chilled milk
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Chopped pistachios or almonds for garnishing
- In a blender, add the plain yoghurt, malai, powdered sugar, cardamom powder, and chilled milk.
- Blend the ingredients until they are well combined and the lassi becomes smooth and frothy.
- Taste the lassi and adjust the sweetness by adding more powdered sugar if desired. Blend again to incorporate any additional sugar.
- If you prefer a thicker consistency, add a few ice cubes to the blender and blend until they are crushed and incorporated into the lassi.
- Pour the malai lassi into serving glasses.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped pistachios or almonds on top for added texture and flavour.
- Serve the malai lassi chilled and enjoy its creamy goodness.
- For a fruity twist, you can add a splash of mango pulp or rose syrup to the lassi before blending. This will give your malai lassi a delicious fruity flavour.
- If you prefer a vegan version, you can use dairy-free yoghurt and substitute the malai with coconut cream or any non-dairy alternative.
- To make a salted lassi, omit the sugar and cardamom powder and instead, add a pinch of salt and some roasted cumin powder to the blender.
Enjoying Malai Lassi:
Malai lassi is best enjoyed chilled, making it a perfect drink to beat the summer heat. It can be served as a refreshing beverage on its own or paired with spicy Indian snacks like samosas or pakoras. The creamy texture and sweet flavours of malai lassi also complement rich and spicy Indian curries, providing a balance to the palate. Prepare this delightful beverage at home and treat yourself to a taste of India’s beloved lassi tradition.
With its creamy texture, luscious flavours, and refreshing appeal, malai lassi is a delightful beverage that brings joy to hot summer days. This simple recipe allows you to recreate this beloved Indian drink in the comfort of your own home. Sip on a glass of chilled malai lassi and experience the blissful combination of creamy yoghurt, aromatic spices, and a touch of sweetness. It’s time to indulge in this classic Indian treat and relish the cool and creamy goodness of malai lassi.