Aloo Bonda, also known as Potato Bonda, is a popular Indian snack that is loved by people of all ages. These deep-fried, crispy fritters feature a flavorful and spicy potato filling encased in a crispy golden-brown exterior. Aloo Bonda makes for a perfect tea-time snack or a tasty appetizer for gatherings. In this blog post, we will guide you through a simple and delicious Aloo Bonda recipe that will surely tantalize your taste buds.
For the potato filling:
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger paste
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
For the batter:
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- A pinch of baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, chopped onions, green chillies, ginger paste, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin seeds, and salt. Mix everything well to form a smooth and well-combined filling.
- Divide the potato mixture into small equal-sized balls and set them aside.
- In another bowl, prepare the batter by combining chickpea flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add water and whisk until you achieve a smooth and thick consistency. The batter should be thick enough to coat the potato balls.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Take one potato ball and dip it into the prepared batter, ensuring it is coated evenly. Gently drop it into the hot oil.
- Fry the potato balls in batches until they turn golden brown and crispy. Make sure to flip them occasionally for even frying.
- Once the Bondas are fried to perfection, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the process for the remaining potato balls.
- Serve the hot and crispy Aloo Bondas with chutney, ketchup, or a cup of steaming hot tea.
Aloo Bonda is a delightful snack that combines the goodness of mashed potatoes with a crispy exterior, making it an irresistible treat for snack time. This simple and flavorful recipe allows you to create these delectable fritters in the comfort of your own kitchen. So, gather the ingredients, follow the steps, and enjoy the mouthwatering Aloo Bonda with your loved ones. It’s the perfect way to add some crunch and spice to your snack repertoire.