Som Tam, also known as Thai Green Papaya Salad, is a vibrant and refreshing dish that embodies the essence of Thai cuisine. This iconic salad combines the crunchiness of unripe green papaya with a perfect balance of sweet, sour, and spicy flavours. Som Tam is a popular street food in Thailand, loved for its unique combination of textures and the burst of freshness it offers. In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps to prepare a delicious Som Tam at home, allowing you to experience the authentic taste of this Thai culinary delight.
- 2 cups shredded green papaya
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup long beans or green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- 2-3 Thai bird’s eye chillies, finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce for a vegetarian version)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and Thai chillies together until they form a rough paste. Alternatively, you can use a food processor or finely chop them by hand.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic-chilli paste, fish sauce (or soy sauce), lime juice, palm sugar (or brown sugar), and tamarind pulp. Mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the shredded green papaya, cherry tomatoes, and long beans to the mixing bowl. Use a spoon or your hands to gently toss and mix all the ingredients together, ensuring the dressing coats the vegetables evenly.
- Taste and adjust the flavours according to your preference by adding more fish sauce (or soy sauce), lime juice, or sugar if needed. Add salt if desired.
- Transfer the Som Tam to a serving plate and sprinkle the crushed roasted peanuts on top.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for added freshness and aroma.
- Serve the Som Tam immediately as a light and refreshing salad or as a side dish to complement your Thai meal.
- If you cannot find green papaya, you can substitute it with shredded green mango or cucumber.
- For an extra tangy flavour, you can add a small amount of lime zest to the dressing.
Som Tam, the iconic Thai Green Papaya Salad, is a burst of fresh flavours that delights the palate. By following this authentic Som Tam recipe, you can recreate the vibrant and refreshing taste of this beloved Thai street food in the comfort of your own kitchen. Whether you’re a fan of Thai cuisine or looking to explore new flavours, Som Tam is a must-try dish that will transport you to the streets of Thailand with every crunchy and tangy bite. Enjoy the vibrant flavours and let the Som Tam add a touch of Thailand to your culinary adventures.